Monday, July 14, 2014

Ironman Coeur d'Alene

 Ironman #6 has now come and gone and I am driving ahead to the next race at full speed!  Well almost.  Two weeks after the race I am just beginning to consider the fact that I still like doing Ironman races and that I might still train for Ironman Lake Tahoe on September 21st. Anyone that knows me understands that I set the bar high for every race, so high in fact that I rarely meet those high expectations.  This race my number one goal, along with finishing, having a solid stomach during the run, and a solid swim and bike, was to enjoy it!  OK that was more like five goals-which is more like me anyway.  I did actually have a great time, a solid swim, a solid bike, with a mostly solid stomach.

I used new nutrition this time to avoid sugars after learning that I had fructose malabsorption.  I used zero aid station support (except for water) and used UCAN starch, Bulletproof MCT Oil, Amino Acids, and X2 Performance.  My GI system performed 100% better than ever before!  So thanks to Bulletproof Executive and Ben Greenfield for such great nutrition advice!   I am way closer to finding what really works  than knowing all of what doesn't work.

Coming onto another birthday in a month I have started to learn the physical toll that my lifestyle takes on the body.  This has made me really evaluate how our body recovers, what nutrition and supplements it needs, and what biomarkers should be tested to ensure that what we choose to do doesn't harm us more than help us.  With existing chronic health conditions I need to be on top of my game always if I want to continue in these sports. Cortisol levels need to go back up, hormones need to go back up, Vitamin D needs to go back up, etc.   I look forward to this process of learning and experimenting as I figure out how to tackle training for the next Ironman and a whole season of dog races soon to come! I will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment